FRIENDS OF VENTNOR LIBRARY GENERAL MEETING AT 6.30 p.m. on NOVEMBER 1 at VENTNOR LIBRARY.
Evelyn Knowles Chair
John Carter Treasurer.
Angela Harrison Secretary.
Lesley Telford Membership Secretary
Ian Brownlow. FVL Website.
Apologies were received from Roger Booth, Chris Rickards, Clive Rickards, Cherry Owens, Graham Benson, Christine Benson, Fred Woodworth and Tess Jessop.
2. WELCOME BY CHAIR.
Evelyn welcomed those present and advised that the Members October Newsletter will form the Agenda for the meeting, and she welcomed questions.
3. VENTNOR IN TOUCH (VIT).UPDATE.
Evelyn invited John Carter, Treasurer to update members about VIT. John advised that the VIT project was funded by a lottery funded programme ‘Awards For All England’ and received in September 2016 . 74 people have received help sessions on the use of either Library purchased tablets or their own tablets.
The last help session this year will be 6 December, starting again next year 10 January.
John went on to explain that VIT has worked with Action on Hearing Loss UK to identify and purchase add ons for the tablets to improve the experience of people who have hearing difficulties. John explained that there are three types of add ons and they are available at the Library to try out and the Librarians can provide help. The prices range from £22. for the simplest and £40. with the most expensive being £80. He advised that if medically diagnosed with hearing loss and registered with Action on Hearing Loss, it was possible to be exempt from the VAT cost. John has provided an instruction leaflet, which is also available at the Library.
Funding for the project has now ended, but as there is still £140 residue, the rule is that it would have to be returned at the end of the project unless we can evidence that it can be used effectively, which we have, so have retained the money.
We will, in future be able to reapply for funds.
LIBRARY AWAY DAY ST MARGARET’S HALL LOWTHERVILLE.
An Away Day was organised with Tanith to demonstrate Library facilities and the tablets. As there was no WI FI at the Hall, John advised that a mobile WI FI was purchased for approximately £20., which will be useful in the future.
4. FVL WEBSITE.
Evelyn advised that we had appealed for help to manage the website, and Ian Brownlow volunteered to become our Webmaster. Evelyn handed over to Ian to demonstrate the web site, which he has sought to adapt for our specific needs.
Ian advised that it now uses WordPress, which he explained is quick and easy to use. It uses various Templates, pictures, a Diary Blog page, photos (with permission required) Also an Archive of News, some static pages and it can include approved content users as well as delegated responsibility e.g The Reading Group.
He invited contributions from members and also ideas about the look of the website. Lesley stressed the need for people to contribute and to include current and specific information.
Evelyn thanked Ian and advised that he is also helping now with Tablet sessions.
5. LETTER OF THANKS FROM SANDRA.
Sandra Dawson, Librarian, wrote a letter of appreciation to the Friends about the events funded by FVL over the summer, which have been very successful. She asked for ‘Helping Hands’ to assist with future events. (Can you help please?)
6. FUTURE FUND RAISING.
John advised that we have been living off the proceeds from a previous fund raising calendar and that we need to continually raise funds to support Library activities. With this in mind he submitted an application to The High Sheriffs Trust Fund. This fund provides small amounts of money to Island causes focused on children. The application was approved in October for £400.00. The money will provide 3 shows by Huxley the Magician, who is popular with the children, and provides a great confidence booster for the children. The first show will be in February. It was agreed to invite the High Sheriff to this show. It will also fund materials for craft sessions and Lego Club prizes.
7 VENTNOR CENTRAL NEW LIBRARY.
John advised that a Steering Group Committee comprising of Isle of Wight Council and Ventnor Town Council members in partnership meet on a bi-monthly basis to discuss the development of Ventnor Central, where the New Library will be located. Tess Jessop and John attend those meetings and John is currently the elected Chair.
The plans were underway, scheduled in March 2017, to be considered for approval in July 2017, with a view to commencing building work in October 2017. Spectrum Housing Association, in the meantime merged with another Housing Association, and although the plans are still very much ‘alive’, the deadlines have slipped. John advised that the next Steering Group meeting is imminent, so he hopes to have more news then.
The Lease for Ventnor Central has terminated, so Men In Sheds who used it have moved out. He advised that the new building will provide Social Housing apartments with the Library situated on the whole of the ground floor.
Evelyn invited Julie Roberts, who has provided a comprehensive report of a visit to the proposed New Library site, to outline recommendations (previously circulated).
Julie went on to explain the main areas of concern as follows:
1. Presentation of the building as a valuable attractive, eye catching asset with an active frontage. It was suggested that a stained glass window depicting local history and approaching the Arts Council about community involvement might be possible.
2. Access for pedestrians currently not available. It was suggested that a ‘Yellow Book Road” would be good.
3. Safety. The external area will need to be well lit.The car park will need consideration.
4. Signage .Way Finding will be essential in the town
5. Parking. The building will be nearer to facilities for parking, but the parking nearby needs consideration.
6. Encouraging new Library users. Evelyn advised that she had spoken to some residents from Knights Court, in the nearby vicinity, who were pleased that they will be able to access the New Library easier, or for the first time.
Julie concluded that it is a very challenging site.
In response to an enquiry about the level of influence we as members can bring to the project, John advised that, as yet, there are no public plans available, however he advised that the Council have set aside money specifically for the New Library. It is the intention to apply for add on grants as a means to enhance and obtain the Library that we want, as the building provided is likely to be basic. Julie’s report has been submitted to The Steering Committee group. It is the intention to apply to Island Roads, who offer grants for Community projects and their expertise building roads and paths etc would be ideal in connection with the external works required.
8. VENTNOR HERITAGE MUSEUM.
Lesley advised that the Heritage Centre is getting more involved with the community and is offering free entry to anyone with FVL membership (also Co-op cards). Winter opening times are Saturday morning 10am – 12.30 until March 2018. Show your membership card on the door. She advised that a flyer will be put up in the Library.
9. DAPHNE’S PHOTOGRAPHS.APPEAL FOR VOLUNTEERS.
Lesley and John have started scanning Daphne’s photographs to preserve them and make good use of them in the future. Julie has also volunteered to help, however this is a large task. Can anyone offer their services to help share the task?
10. DATE OF NEXT MEETING.
The date of the next meeting is to be arranged. There being no other business, the meeting closed at 7.45 p.m.